Director of Merchandising
- San Francisco, CA -
Marine Layer is a San Francisco based premium casual apparel brand. We sell through our website and our retail stores across the U.S of A. We are a fast-growing company whose Marine Layer locally designs and manufactures its own line of casual apparel. We have 22 doors (and counting) across the country and a robust ecommerce and catalog business. Our success has been built on a small, passionate team that works hard, has a lot of fun and passionately believes in what we are building. We’ve managed to transition from a start-up into a nationally renown brand by staying true to our roots and thoughtfully expanding the team with some incredibly talented (and fun) people who want to help us build something special.
Our new Director of Merchandising will be a critical member of our growing company and work at the very core of our business as a leader on the Product team. In that capacity, he or she will play an integral role in setting and implementing the strategic direction of our line. Among other things, that work will require the Merchant to:
- Help our business grow from start-up to organization. We’re at an inflection point where we need some structure to how we produce a line…cohesion, brand-fit, the right amount of pushing our customer forward
- Take trend and realize it through a Marine Layer lens
- Set a product line that maximizes sales and profitability in a brand-positive fashion
- Understand current market conditions and position our product appropriately within our competitive landscape
- Recommend seasonal and core product mixes to guide design team and capitalize on existing business as well as potential new opportunities
- Work with design team to ensure that we are offering the right assortment of product to our customer while pushing our line forward and staying on trend
- Work closely with the field to obtain and interpret customer feedback
- Partner with planner to set pricing strategy and interpret and act on our sales data
- Demonstrate forward thinking by being a solutions oriented individual who thrives on being a self-starter who takes initiative
QUALIFICATIONS—It bodes well if you are:
An Authentic Brand Advocate with Great Style
You should know the brand, like the brand, and be able to represent our aesthetic in an authentic way while also pushing our style forward. We need you to execute and implement brand strategies in creative ways that will resonate with our core customer.
A Strong Leader
You will be directly over a small (and growing) merch team, but you will also need to lead and organize multiple product teams across other functions.
A Drive To Build Something Great
Hmmm, how to say this politely, we ain’t Levis or the Gap. We’re on the precipice of something really special, but we’re not there yet. The road ahead is going to be challenging and we’re looking for someone embraces that and is eager to play a key part in getting us to the next level.
A Fantastic Communicator and (Somewhat) Analytical
You need to be organized, self-motivated and accountable. The successful candidate for this position will be analytical and organized with excellent communication skills and an ability to combine complex analysis with market knowledge to product actionable recommendations
We are a very lean organization and we’re looking for this person to develop a strong process for our team. This is a great opportunity and also a great burden. The right person probably sees more opportunity than burden…
Check out our website and shoot firstname.lastname@example.org your resume + a thoughtful email on why you are a great fit for Marine Layer and this role. To refer your friend, email email@example.com their contact information and why they would be awesome at this job.
Senior Sales and Inventory Planner
- San Francisco, CA -
Marine Layer is a San Francisco-based lifestyle apparel brand. We sell our clothes through our branded retail stores (we have 20+ around the country, with more on the way soon), our catalog, and our website. We are growing rapidly, we work hard, have fun, and get really, really excited about designing and selling amazing clothing. Need more info? Just poke around our website to start.
Marine Layer is hiring a Senior Sales and Inventory Planner to join our Finance and Operations team. What’s a Senior Sales and Inventory Planner you ask? Well, it basically means we need someone who can help us figure out how much of our clothing to make, and in what categories, then make sure we are selling it as efficiently as possible. You will also inform our decisions as to where we send the product we make (aka, New York or LA), how we price it, and when we mark it down. You have to be smart, amazing with numbers, and most importantly have the ability to make keen analytical findings that will help move the business forward. Sound like something you’d be good at? Then read on.
JOB DESCRIPTION (AKA, WHAT WILL YOU DO HERE EVERYDAY)
Among other things, the Senior Planner will:
- Work closely with a cross functional team to develop our company- and channel-level seasonal sales plans, which should include assessment of historical sales comps as well as emerging trends to identify new sales opportunities;
- Manage business-critical weekly reporting outputs to team members and senior management to include company- channel- and door-level style selling performance, inventory on-hand and sell through and margin reporting;
- Communicate results of all ongoing analysis to design, merchandising, retail, and ecommerce teams;
- Work with retail operations and visual team to ensure timely and accurate execution of new store assortment drops and quantities;
- Maintain up-to-the-minute inventory visibility and analysis across key company- and channel-level metrics and inform discount and merchandising strategies;
- Have the ability to deliver strong and thorough presentations, which clearly identify business issues, strategies and resultant decisions to senior management; and,
- Demonstrate knowledge of forecasting math and performance metrics.
WHO WILL WE HIRE FOR THIS JOB (AKA, QUALIFICATIONS)
Our new Senior Planner will:
- Have a few years of experience in apparel sales and inventory planning;
- Have a demonstrated ability to work in a team environment with multiple stakeholders. We have a lot of cooks in the kitchen—as they say—and this job requires that you both respond to and also inform all of those cooks.
- Thrive in a dynamic, fast paced (OK, sometimes it’s pretty hectic…) environment of a start-up. Someone looking for a cookie-cutter apparel planning job need not apply.
- Be intellectually curious and flexible. We are growing fast and constantly shifting into new categories, so we need someone who can adapt and continue to problem solve in a changing landscape. We won’t be successful if we just try to follow a road map (actually, there isn’t one), and so we need someone who can help us figure a complicated business out.
- Show us a strong connection to the brand. This should probably have been first. But every single person who has been successful at Marine Layer has demonstrated a commitment and excitement to what we are doing.
WANNA TAKE THE NEXT STEP
Send us your resume along with a thoughtful email or cover letter telling us why you’d like to work at Marine Layer and think you’re a fit for this role (the second part is probably the most important). Send to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Partnerships & Content Marketing Manager
- San Francisco, CA -
Since starting our business we’ve kept our heads down, focusing on building a great brand and making awesome product (mostly because those things were quite difficult). Meanwhile, we haven’t done a great job of creating awareness and marketing around the brand we’ve built. That’s where you come in…
We’re looking for a smart, organized and opportunistic person who can help us create and execute some new marketing initiatives largely based around one of the things we do really, really well, which is make great t-shirts. Specifically,
Developing Brand Partnerships
We make awesome shirts, now it’s time to get them into new hands. Explore strategic brand & influencer partnerships that bode well for ML’s exposure and growth. You will also manage all accounts for our custom print shop where we will do limited runs of graphic T’s. There’s a lot of creative opportunity here that we’re excited to explore.
Generate Great Content
Create brand positive content from our partnerships that we’ll share in our catalog, social & ecommerce channels. You will be responsible for developing and executing campaigns that drive growth in brand awareness & social following.
From start to finish, you’ll be responsible for setting up and managing these successful partnerships & marketing campaigns. You’ll also need to manage cross-functional relationships within Marine Layer, specifically working with our brand and design teams regularly.
It bodes well if you are:
An Authentic Brand Advocate: You should know the brand, like the brand, and be able to represent us in an authentic way.
An Excellent Networker: Do you enjoy meeting new people? Are you direct and persistent, without being annoying? We need someone who is all of these things. Or at least close…
Strategic & Creative: You’ll need to think outside the box on all partnership & marketing opportunities there are to be had, then create a strategic plan for execution.
A Fantastic Project Manager: You need to be organized, self-motivated and accountable. The successful candidate for this position will be able to ensure that they can handle a variety of disparate tasks and accounts on a daily basis in a fast-paced environment.
Scrappy: We are a very lean organization and we’re going from a marketing department of zero to a marketing department of one. This is a great opportunity and also a great burden. The right person probably sees more opportunity than burden…
Check out our website and shoot firstname.lastname@example.org your resume + a thoughtful email on why you are a great fit for Marine Layer and this role. To refer your friend, email email@example.com their contact information and why they would be awesome at this job!
Store Managers + Store Supervisors
- Malibu + San Luis Obispo + Palo Alto + Berkeley, CA | Boulder, CO | Austin + Dallas, TX -
We're looking for someone pretty special to help us slang a few tees and get the word out about Marine Layer at our new stores. This is not a typical retail position because we are not a typical company. This is not a typical retail position because we are not a typical company. While selling shirts and maintaining the store are both very important, we primarily want someone who is personable, self-motivated and 110% committed to the success of their store and the brand as a whole.
As you can imagine, opening a store in a new market is an exciting challenge for any Store Manager and Store Supervisor. We need someone who can represent our lifestyle and company culture from hundreds of miles away. While we will (of course) be involved in branding, merchandising, events and training, it is very important for you to be an independent self starter.
In addition to finding someone who can kick ass and lead from afar, we are looking for a Store Manager + Store Supervisor who has experience in the following areas:
- Customer Experience — We want people to walk out of our stores excited about our brand. You should be (pretty) funny, (very) charismatic and be one hell of a host(ess) of the party.
- People Development — We pride ourselves in hiring green and developing our people. Personal success stories with people development and employee retention are a must.
- Leadership — We want someone who is passionate about keeping a team happy, engaged and challenged. There's a difference between managing a team and leading a team.
- Merchandising — Our product needs to look good and sell well in our stores. It's important for you to have a keen eye for merchandising and visual standards.
- Operations — It would be nice if operational tasks don't send you into a frenzy of panic.
Desire to work in a start‐up (ish) environment: A lot of people say they want to work at a start-up; not as many people really know what that means. Here it means we all work very hard, we believe deeply in the future of this company, and we all do a lotta bit of everything.
Success in a Retail Management Role: The size of your previous company and the product category you've worked in are not important to us. If you're a good manager with leadership skills and a positive attitude, you can succeed here.
Cultural Fit: This is a close-knit group that gets along extremely well. We all work hard, but manage to have a lot of fun along the way. We're all working towards the same goal of making Marine Layer something special and if you are on board for that (and don't have a stick up your butt) you'll fit in really well.
Please have a look at our website and then shoot firstname.lastname@example.org your resume, a thoughtful email about how you relate to our seven-day-weekend lifestyle. Cover letters are for the birds…
- All Cities-
Marine Layer is a San Francisco-based premium casual apparel brand. We design and manufacture all of our own clothing, and every step of that process occurs here in California. We sell through our website and our retail stores in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Portland, Chicago, Miami and New York (and expanding). We are a fast-growing company whose success has been built on a small, passionate team that works hard and has a lot of fun.
We are looking for someone who is really excited about our brand and connects with our product. This is not a typical retail position because we are not a typical company. While selling shirts, maintaining the store, etc, are all very important, we primarily want someone who is personable, self-motivated and 110% committed to the success of their store and the brand as a whole.
We are looking for part-time or full-time associates who are excited to work closely with a team that has a lot of fun and is very passionate about making Marine Layer something special. The people who have been successful at this company are (very) outgoing, (very) fun, (kinda) organized, (pretty) smart and really, really like Marine Layer. It's a tough hiring market so we'll take 4 outta 5.
Please have a look at our website and shoot email@example.com your resume and a thoughtful email about why you'd be a great match for Marine Layer. Cover letters are for the birds…
Fall 2016 Academic Internships -
Apparel Production / Visual Design Intern / Photo Assistant
- San Francisco, CA -
We are looking for students who are really excited about our brand and connect with our product. These are not your typical internships because we are not a typical company. While offering assistance to the following departments is very important, we primarily want someone who is personable, self-motivated and 110% committed to the success of our team and the brand as a whole.
Apparel Production Intern
We need someone who is good at working with cross-functional teams like sourcing, technical design, and merchandising. You'll be responsible for tracking and filing samples, trims and fabric, as well as managing fulfillment for Marine Layer vendors (domestic and international). Applicants please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Visual Design Intern
You'll work closely with the Retail Team and assist with visual display sampling, vendor management and tracking all visual shipments. You'll also take on two projects from the ground up: 1) create a system for managing visual inventory and 2) compiling store profile binders for all existing stores. Applicants please email email@example.com.
You'll assist our photographer in the following areas: helping with the photo studio and lifestyle shoots from production to shooting; maintaining studio equipment/cleanliness; photo editing/processing/archiving/organization, location research/mood boarding. Note: you must know Photoshop and Lightroom. Applicants please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are looking for part-time interns who are excited to work closely with a team that has a lot of fun and is very passionate about making Marine Layer product something special. The people who have been successful at this company are (very) outgoing, (very) detail oriented, (very) organized, (pretty) smart and really, really like Marine Layer. You gotta be able to adapt to the ever changing needs of each team and open to rolling up your sleeves and get the job done.
Must be age 18 or older, is enrolled in a 2-4 year college or university and be able to receive school credit for your time spent at Marine Layer.