Store Managers + Store Supervisors
- HOUSTON | SAN LUIS OBISPO | SAN DIEGO | BOSTON | NASHVILLE | SAN FRANCISCO | NEW YORK | CHICAGO | LOS ANGELES | SCOTTSDALE | ATLANTA | SAN JOSE | PALO ALTO -
We're looking for someone pretty special to help us slang a few tees and get the word out about Marine Layer at our new stores. This is not a typical retail position because we are not a typical company. While selling shirts and maintaining the store are both very important, we primarily want someone who is personable, self-motivated and 110% committed to the success of their store and the brand as a whole.
As you can imagine, opening a store in a new market is an exciting challenge for any Store Manager and Store Supervisor. We need someone who can represent our lifestyle and company culture from hundreds of miles away. While we will (of course) be involved in branding, merchandising, events and training, it is very important for you to be an independent self starter.
In addition to finding someone who can kick ass and lead from afar, we are looking for a Store Manager + Store Supervisor who has experience in the following areas:
- Customer Experience — We want people to walk out of our stores excited about our brand. You should be (pretty) funny, (very) charismatic and be one hell of a host(ess) of the party.
- People Development — We pride ourselves in hiring green and developing our people. Personal success stories with people development and employee retention are a must.
- Leadership — We want someone who is passionate about keeping a team happy, engaged and challenged. There's a difference between managing a team and leading a team.
- Merchandising — Our product needs to look good and sell well in our stores. It's important for you to have a keen eye for merchandising and visual standards.
- Operations — It would be nice if operational tasks don't send you into a frenzy of panic.
Desire to work in a start‐up (ish) environment: A lot of people say they want to work at a start-up; not as many people really know what that means. Here it means we all work very hard, we believe deeply in the future of this company, and we all do a lotta bit of everything.
Success in a Retail Management Role: The size of your previous company and the product category you've worked in are not important to us. If you're a good manager with leadership skills and a positive attitude, you can succeed here.
Cultural Fit: This is a close-knit group that gets along extremely well. We all work hard, but manage to have a lot of fun along the way. We're all working towards the same goal of making Marine Layer something special and if you are on board for that (and don't have a stick up your butt) you'll fit in really well.
Part Time Supervisors and Sales Associates
- All Stores -
Marine Layer is a San Francisco-based premium casual apparel brand. We design and manufacture all of our own clothing, and every step of that process occurs here in California. We sell through our website and our retail stores in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Portland, Chicago, Miami and New York (and expanding). We are a fast-growing company whose success has been built on a small, passionate team that works hard and has a lot of fun.
We are looking for someone who is really excited about our brand and connects with our product. This is not a typical retail position because we are not a typical company. While selling shirts, maintaining the store, etc, are all very important, we primarily want someone who is personable, self-motivated and 110% committed to the success of their store and the brand as a whole.
We are looking for part-time or full-time associates who are excited to work closely with a team that has a lot of fun and is very passionate about making Marine Layer something special. The people who have been successful at this company are (very) outgoing, (very) fun, (kinda) organized, (pretty) smart and really, really like Marine Layer. It's a tough hiring market so we'll take 4 outta 5.
Please have a look at our website and shoot firstname.lastname@example.org your resume and a thoughtful email about why you'd be a great match for Marine Layer. Cover letters are for the birds…
Senior Men’s Technical Designer
- SAN FRANCISCO, CA -
Since our humble beginnings of selling absurdly soft tshirts from a VW bus, we've been pretty busy- building a great brand, opening 35 (and counting!) stores, and, most importantly, continuing to make awesome, super soft clothing. We’ve gone from just Tshirts to a full-on lifestyle brand, and the assortment only continues to grow. That’s where you come in...
We're looking for a Senior Men’s Tech Designer: someone who knows what they’re doing, has a proven ability to bring unique apparel products from concept through design, development and production, and who is looking to join a team of driven and passionate people. A successful candidate will be open to working in a collaborative and highly dynamic start-up environment, taking on new challenges and excited to build great product.
- Manage all technical design for our Men’s apparel assortment
- Manage our Jr Technical Designer, and be responsible for their employee training and development
- Coordinate with our design team to bring initial sketches and concepts into technical development
- Manage all sampling, including new development samples, fit samples, and photo samples
- Lead fittings and be responsible for the implementation and communication of construction/fit changes
- Create and communicate tech packs that include fabrics, specs, contrasts, trims, notions, and sewing and construction details: Creating a clear, concise outline for each product before it enters production is a critical aspect of this job
- Show an obsession and love for the details in the technical design of our clothing: we’re a company that created Marge and Larger sizes because we felt like the typical S, M, L scale wasn’t enough… you should think that’s really neat.
- Clearly communicate all requests, issues, and changes with domestic & international vendors
QUALIFICATIONS: (it bodes well if you have the below)
- Deep experience in apparel technical design and production: we’re looking for someone who’s on the tech design career path, is passionate about making a great product, and is well-versed in the apparel industry.
- Strong background in providing pattern corrections & editing AI technical sketches w/ construction callouts.
- Demonstrate an ability to work in a team environment by collaborating, brainstorming and being flexible is essential to making the dream work. Basically, get excited about having 42 new friends.
- Thrive in a dynamic, fast paced environment of a start-up. We work on tight deadlines, and need you to be able to work under pressure, multi-task, and keep track of all the details.
- Be not just willing, but excited to meet and embrace challenges and change… as our assortment grows, we look to our tech design team to take on new categories and learn on the go. Recent examples include swim, sport, and denim, to name a few.
- Show a deep understanding for who the Marine Layer customer is now and what he or she can be in the future. You should have a true connection with our customer, the brand, and our products.
Fine Print: we ask that you have the following qualifications:
- Degree in apparel Design/ Development/ Patternmaking or other relevant field, or equivalent experience
- 4-5 years technical design or product development experience
- Previous management experience a plus
Check out our website and shoot email@example.com your resume and a thoughtful email about how you relate to our seven-day-weekend lifestyle. Cover letters are for the birds…
Real Estate Project Manager
- San Francisco, CA -
We're looking for a Project Manager to report directly to our Director of Real Estate to help open new stores, renovate and remodel existing ones, and in general keep the real estate ship sailing smoothly along. The job will involve:
- Managing multiple (read: up to 5 or 6) different projects in different geographies simultaneously
- Act as the main point of contact for all local contractors working on these projects
- Responsible for hitting deadlines and budgets for each project.
- During the final phases of a project, you can expect to be on-site for up to a week or more.
- Internally, you will be the main cross-functional partner for the Brand and Visual Design Teams, Retail team, and all other teams who are involved in successful project completion.
Project Management Experience
While we retain many of the qualities of a start-up, we are a national brand with soon-to-be-over 50 stores. As such, it’s imperative that we have someone with real-world project management experience. This means a proven track record managing vendors on complicated projects. Ideally this should include general contractors and subs, architects, designers. Experience interacting with landlords and local building and inspection department is a plus.
To successfully complete the projects set before you, this role will require participation and coordination of multiple teams within our organization. As such, having extremely good communication skills is a must. This means communicating and working cross-functionally with our design and brand teams, our retail teams, and a number of other teams who are involved in the successful completion of a project.
An Excellent Multi-Tasker.
Okay, yes: this is super cliché but at Marine Layer, and in this role specifically, we need someone who can juggle multiple complex projects not only here in San Francisco but around the country, in various stages of completion. The ability to prioritize which projects require the most attention is key. This person will be instrumental in helping us elevate our new stores and figure out how to fix existing ones as soon as possible, like when the city sewage main backs up into our back-of-house (yes, that happened and no, our Chicago staff doesn’t like to talk about it).
Cliché #2, guilty. No matter how well we plan in advance, something always goes wrong in the field. A fixture doesn’t fit, a table broke in transit, we ordered half the lights we need and we have 24-hours until we’re open—go. We need someone who can assess the problem and quickly figure out the best solution. A vendor says the current design will take way longer than we have time for—figure out how we can get it done in a way that no one will know the difference. This is an absolutely crucial skill because we open our stores in the extremely tight timeframes.
An Engineer at Heart
Our design team comes up some awesome tables, fixtures and branding pieces. That’s great on paper but how the #&%! do we actually build this unicorn??? (Thanks again, design team.) We need someone who can come up with simple designs that our vendors can execute but don’t sacrifice our aesthetic.
Authentic Brand Advocate.
This goes for everyone here at Marine Layer. You should know the brand, like the brand, and be able to represent us in an authentic way. You’re not designing our clothes, but the look and feel of our stores is one of the most impactful ways we reach new and existing customers. Your work on these projects will make a huge impact on Marine Layer’s growth.
Please have a look at our website and shoot firstname.lastname@example.org your resume and a thoughtful email about why you are a great fit for Marine Layer and this position.
MLHQ Office Administrator
- San Francisco, CA -
(hourly, 25-30 hours a week)
Marine Layer is a San Francisco-based premium casual apparel brand. We sell exclusively through our website and 35 (and counting) retail stores across the U.S of A. We are a fast-growing company whose success has been built on a small, passionate team that works hard and has a lot of fun. We are headquartered in the heart of San Francisco, and our office is a direct extension of our brand.
As a bustling (and often chaotic) office of 45 humans, we need help keeping things running smoothly. This can be everything from fielding requests and ordering supplies, to keeping the kitchen stocked with great food (and helping keep it clean), to managing special projects like developing onboarding procedures or creating a conference room reservation system. This is where the Office Admin comes in. Reporting to the Employee Experience Associate, this is an essential role that requires a detail-oriented, patient, and innovative ninja to not only keep the ship sailing, but help us be more efficient along the way.
Day to day priorities include:
- Daily kitchen management and grocery shopping
- Stockroom and supply ordering and inventory/ organization
- Computer ordering and inventory
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail and packages
- Manage exterior vendors, including cleaners, trash pickup, and repairs as needed
- Generally keep the office clean and working: stock the bathrooms, wash the towels, water the plants
Beyond these day to day necessities, this role will focus on how to make this office not only more organized, more comfortable, and more efficient, but also on how to truly feel like an extension of the ML brand, and a representation of our company.
At the end of the day, this role needs to take ownership and pride in how the office looks, runs, and feels. It’s not an easy job, and may often be overlooked, but without it, we would literally fall apart.
No man is an island, least of all in here. In order to make sure things are running smoothly, and that everyone else knows that, this person must communicate efficiently and openly. What support do you need? What problems do you forsee on the horizon? How do you think we can do it better? Speak up and be ready to take action.
An Excellent Multi-Tasker
Okay, yes: this is super cliché but at Marine Layer, and in this role specifically, we need someone who can juggle multiple projects and prioritize needs. This role is a beast: we need you to be on top of all things office, while fielding requests from 45 people, and also be ready for one-off projects- anything from helping our marketing team execute a great launch party, to assisting our brand team redesign the conference room.
Cliché #2, guilty. No matter how well we plan in advance, and try to anticipate the needs of the business, stuff can and absolutely will go wrong. Or an immediate need will arise. Or Mike will forget to mention a meeting of 15 people who need some lunch brought in. Or the refrigerator will bust. You know it, you get it. We need you to think on your feet, keep a cool head and deal with stuff as it arises, in the best, ML- McGyver way you can.
A True Lover of Details and Organization:
How can I say this nicely? Our office… is not currently living it’s best life, organization-wise. We would love someone with experience and enthusiasm for bringing system to chaos, without a lot of direction or input.
Finally, Scrappy and Independent:
We are a lean and fast-paced organization. You should be able to anticipate needs, drive your projects forward, and keep things running well, without a huge amount of supervision. We don’t do micro-management around here.
We ask that you have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or working equivalent
- 1-2 years experience working in an office in an admin-related role
- Retail experience is a plus
This is a part-time, 25-30 hour per week job, with the possibility of moving to full-time after 6-12 months.
To apply, please shoot email@example.com a thoughtful email about why you’re a great fit. Cover letters are for the birds...
Marine Layer is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that welcomes applicants and employees of all genders, races, backgrounds, orientations, and nationalities. #whateveryoureinto