Everyone always asks me how we make our graphics. Ok, well it’s usually just my dad, but he asks a lot so here’s a little blog recap of what we did to roll out the new USA tee.
1) Brainstormin’: We’ve got a couple surf/sun ideas that have been bouncing around, but those get put on hold when we remember the summer games are coming in a few months. No one wants to be branded as a communist, so everyone in the office votes to come up with a special edition tee.
2) Joe – our main graphic designer – comes in to toss around a few ideas and sketch something out. We all agree that Apollo Ohno is the only person who likes the last ten years of USA unis so we’re going retro with the graphic…simple and patriotic.
3) We’d love to incorporate the rings into our design, but a quick check of the google machine reveals that they are trademarked. I wonder if it’s the same people that trademarked Smedium? We just can’t catch a break.
4) Joe comes up with a couple cool versions that use the colors of the rings without any rings. Nice, but feels a lil’ too much like a Jamacia/USA hybrid tee. We play around with a few toned-down versions, but they still seem a little too forced.
5) We get back to our simple mantra and stick with some thin red, white and blue stripes following our torch dude to Olympic golden glory.
6) We run a test screen print on the shirts to make sure we can get a soft hand on the thin lines without losing too much detail.
7) First shirt comes back looking great. And it’s a size Medium, hmmm, that’s lucky, I just so happen to wear Medium…Guess I’ll just hold onto this one for safe-keeping until the rest of the production batch is done…